Dupres House is dedicated to the memory of Capt Ernest Dupres and the men of the 9th Royal Fusiliers, 12th Eastern Division. At 4:55am, 28th August 1918, the 9th Royal Fusiliers left Faviere Wood and advanced towards Hardecourt under the cover of an artillery and machine-gun barrage. After 3 hours of continuous fighting Hardecourt was captured. The Battalion suffered 150 casualties of which 28 men were killed in action they captured 50 prisoners and 16 machine-guns of the German Fusilier Guards. The action of the Battalion was particularly creditable as it had just received 350 recruits all aged 18 and 19 who behaved like experienced troops. Many of the men who fell in action were buried in Hardecourt village French military cemetery but were later moved to the nearby Guillemont Road and Peronne Road cemeteries.
Ernest Dupres was an assistant head master for St Boniface School in Plymouth, he originally joined the ranks of the 17th (Empire Battalion) Royal Fusiliers rising to the rank of Sergeant in 1916 before gaining a commission in the 9th Royal Fusiliers. Capt Dupres was killed leading his company during the assault on Hardecourt and now rests in Peronne Road cemetery.
Features of Dupres House
Dupres House is available for rent on a self-catering basis. The converted farm stables are fully modernised and comfortable, but still keep some of the old features of the farm.
- Sleeps four guests in two upstairs twin bedrooms.
- Each property has UK Sky TV with 200+ free view channels and the farm has free WIFI Internet.
- Lounge features a wood burning fire, roof beams, stone and wooden floors. The lounge has a TV and DVD the walls are decorated with local Great War memorabilia.
- Heated by under floor heating on the ground floor, wood burner and with extra electric wall heaters in the bedrooms and bathroom.
- Bookcase with a small library of ninety books covering mainly the Battle of the Somme and other Great War subjects.
- Fully modernised kitchen comprising of a gas hob, grill and oven, fridge with freezer compartment, microwave, toaster, kettle and a full range of pots, pans and utensils.
- Dining area with seating for four.
- Ground-floor bathroom comprising bath with an overhead shower, pedestal sink, toilet and large storage cupboard.
- Outside you have your own patio and barbecue and plenty of off road parking.
- In the barn/store is an extra freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer.
Images will open in a new window
Please email or call Jonathan for more information availability & prices